Re: Typhonium diversifolium

  • Subject: Re: Typhonium diversifolium
  • From: "Kathy Kempf" <wont_read101@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:27:02 -0500 (CDT)

The first year I planted my typhonium (Zone 6) I was given no cultural
information.  I plunked it in the ground covered about 2" with soil, and a
week later the thing was 4' (1.5 m) tall!  Having had no cultrual
information (I even lost the name) I left it in the ground all winter.
Returning to the nursery where purchased next spring, I found out what it
was (everyone who saw it immediately wanted one) and bought 2 more bulbs.
That was all they had in stock.  I planted the new ones in April in the same
general area as previously.  They both came up (no "flowers") within a week.
  Much to my astonishment, June 20, the original one put up a leaf stalk (no
spathe).  It stayed with me until August. The replacements stayed until
July.  Playing it safe, I dug up 2 bulbs (all I could find) and stored them
over the winter.  I replanted them outside (new areas) in early April.
Keeping my fingers crossed that they will prove hardy and multiply...