Re: Colloquial vs scientific names

  • Subject: Re: Colloquial vs scientific names
  • From: Don Martinson <llmen@wi.rr.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:48:18 -0500 (CDT)

>Thanks for all the extra research on the part of all the Suranoslueths! My
>local indian marts had, besides edoes and things that looked like
>Xanthosomas, a suran lookalike called "ratalu". Any ideas?

Here is a site that attempts to give some equivalence between
colloquial names and botanical names

It seems to have its share of mispellings and taxonomic inaccuracies,
however.  They say that "ratalu" is Convolvulus batatas (= Dioscorea
batatas?), but I wouldn't think that would look too much like a
suran.  Perhaps the "rajalu" fits this bill?

Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin