Re: Alocasia zebrina reticulata

  • Subject: Re: Alocasia zebrina reticulata
  • From: Albert Huntington <balberth@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 13:49:48 -0500 (CDT)

--- "john s. smolowe" <johnsmolowe@pacbell.net> wrote:
> I just bought a nice Alocasia zebrina reticulata and have some cultural
> questions.

  I have had some success growing Alocasia zebrina reticulata ( going on two
years now... ) in my heated greenhouse.  The soil mix contains perlite, fir
bark and a high quality potting soil in a 1:1:1 ratio. It is on the hot side of
my greenhouse, which stays above 65F at night and reaches the high eighties in
the daytime year round.

  I would not say that it is thriving, but it is growing fairly well and
increasing in size, especially when it gets fertilizer.

  I do not have this species sitting in water, and the mix is not extremely
porous, though it does drain fairly quickly.

  I am in San Jose, CA.  If you'd like to come down and inspect the conditions
yourself, I would be happy to show you around - please e-mail me privately at

Best regards,
--Albert Huntington

Albert Huntington           San Jose, CA U.S.A.
           Visit my greenhouse at:

Do You Yahoo!?