Ladybug Bites

  • Subject: Ladybug Bites
  • From: Ted.Held@hstna.com
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:29:33 -0500 (CDT)

I have looked at the mouth parts of these ladybugs under SEM and to me, an
ignorant layperson, they do not look like they are capable of biting in the
usual sense. They look like smallish, sucking mouthparts, perhaps even
vestigial. They do have quite an armory of hooks and sharp attachments on
their legs. Maybe a "bite" is a misinterpreted snag on one of these gizmos?
When I handle them they do not seem to act differently from ordinary