[aroid-l] TitanWatch 4/28/03 Double Trouble in a big way!

  • Subject: [aroid-l] TitanWatch 4/28/03 Double Trouble in a big way!
  • From: "Craig Allen" callen@fairchildgarden.org
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:37:39 -0400

TitanWatch 4/28/03 Double Trouble in a big way!
Well it is quite obvious this morning that this place stinks. It really stinks! But that's a good thing. Both of the Amorphophallus gigas are doing their best to give me a headache. The stench is almost more than I can stand. I bet I won't be having any lunch today. Because there is a hole in my screen in the Amorphophallus display area, I have flies, and where do you think they are? All over the top of the A. gigas spadix. I guess it is fitting, but is adds to the impression THAT IT REALLY STINKS IN HERE! Anyway, Devil Tongue theatrics over lets get on to the real subject of this TitanWatch update...
There are two, YES I SAID TWO, Amorphophallus titanum tubers coming into bloom. Since I was here Saturday afternoon the Titan known as 'Mr. Stinky' has relaxed it's sheath and there are the beautiful folds of the spathe accordioned around the spathe. 'Alice the Amorphophallus' the other A. titanum will have company. I guess we are in for quite a show. 'Mr. Stinky' appears at this time to be about 6-7 days behind 'Alice'.
TitanWatch update:
'Mr. Stinky' - is now 35" to the top of the sheath or 31" at the spadix tip
'Alice the Amorphophallus' - 49" and growing fast, 5" a day over the weekend
P.S. We are trying  to get our computer people to improve the web-cam image, hopefully light at night as well. I hope that night time lighting won't affect the blooming process.
Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road