[aroid-l] TitanWatch 4/30/03 Rain Rain go away the Titans will bloom anyway.

  • Subject: [aroid-l] TitanWatch 4/30/03 Rain Rain go away the Titans will bloom anyway.
  • From: "Craig Allen" callen@fairchildgarden.org
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:17:25 -0400

TitanWatch 4/30/03 Rain Rain go away the Titans will bloom anyway.

And now I'm a poet, ha! This morning the weather had me worried. I was expecting rain, but with no letup? I received a warning about 60 mph winds and large hail. At Fairchild Garden there were only a few heavy gusts and the Titans are fairly well protected from that, but I was afraid large hail might break through the fragile old screen above the heads of my Amorphophallus. Luckily hail passed us by.

The other concern I had was that the Miami Herald reporter and photographer wouldn't show, but nothing stops the news. A little late and a little wet, well a lot wet, but they got here. They were good sports. They asked me to wear the gas mask, of 1998 first titan bloom vintage, and stand on a ladder in the rain. The reporter held an umbrella over the photographer and her fabulous Nikon digital camera as she snapped away. The article announcing the blooming of two titans is supposed to be in Thursday's Metro section. What's next Martha Stewart and Howard Stern, hmmmmm?

TitanWatch update:

Mr. Stinky - 39 inches tall
Audrey III - 59 inches tall

...and wet, wet, wet!