[aroid-l] IAS Members Update

  • Subject: [aroid-l] IAS Members Update
  • From: <amh@ieee.org>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 20:46:06 -0800

Hi there folks,

Albert Huntington, here again. President of the International Aroid Society.

Those of you who are not members, or those of you who are wondering what the society does, please get over to http://www.aroid.org/ and educate/sign yourselves up.

In an attempt to improve communication with the membership, I have been writing periodic updates such as this one with information for members of the IAS regarding the status of various projects, the publications and available membership services.

** The "March" newsletter ( 26-1 ) is has been sent out on time and is hopefully appearing in mailboxes across the world. If you haven't see your copy yet and it doesn't arrive in a few days, you might want to drop me a line. You could also communicate your problems to Paul Resslar ( presslar@vwc.edu ) and see if he can straighten you out.

** RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP. NOW. **
If you look at the mailing label on your latest newsletter ( 26-1 ), you will see a little line which gives the year in which your membership expires. If it doesn't say "04", you need to renew your membership now in order to keep the flow of newsletters and aroideana coming. All memberships are for the full calendar year and expire at the end of each year.

You can renew online with a credit card at http://www.aroid.org/society/joinias.html

Please consider renewing or joining now. The membership of the IAS has been declining over recent years. We will not be able to continue to publish aroid literature and support the aroid community in the way we have been without your membership and support.

** We plan to get Aroideana out on time this year, just before the September show and sale in Miami. The edited articles are just now making their first trip to the publishing house, but it's a long process to get a journal like this out. It's looking like it will be a nice fat volume so far. Even though it seems really early, please get your article submissions in for the next edition - the board is discussing our options for more frequent publication of the journal. We'd particularly like to see any articles on a less technical nature - Aroideana is for more than just new species.

** Save the date! The IAS show and sale is scheduled for Miami on September 18th and 19th this year. It's a fabulous place to meet aroid people from all over the world. We are currently in the planning stages - if you have ideas, if you would like to see something changed from previous years, if you would be able to volunteer your time, NOW is the time to act.

** There is a membership directory database available in the member's area of www.aroid.org . Some members have requested a printed directory be published as well, and we still have copies available. If you would like a free copy mailed to you, please let me know by e-mail and I will send one your way.

** Both Aroideana and the newsletter are always looking for interesting articles and ideas - why not get yours published? Despite publishing a lot of technical articles, Aroideana has a place for collecting trips and cultural techniques as well - and Derek Burch <derek@horticulturist.com> is ready to assist anyone wishing to write about those subjects.

** Want to volunteer some time to the IAS? Have ideas about what the IAS should be doing? Interested in joining the board next year? Send me an e-mail, and I'll try to get you taken care of.

Please remember - replying to this message directly will get it sent back to Aroid-L, not to me or the board member of your choice.

--Albert