Re: [aroid-l] Question--Colocasia "Black magic"

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Question--Colocasia "Black magic"
  • From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:13:22 -0400

Julius:

	It is amazing when you grow enough plants to watch for mutations.  Some
genera are very unstable and other seemingly never mutate.  I expect that
many genera simply have faulty cell division processes...sort of like
buying a computer with a bad hard drive...sometimes it works...sometimes it
doesn't.  A classic example is hosta, where there are a small number of
green species.  We now have over 4,000 named cultivars.  Only a tiny
fraction are seedlings and the rest are due to mutations.  There are now
groups of plant nerds that go on sport-fishing expeditions to nurseries and
they aren't looking for fish.