Re: [aroid-l] Question--Colocasia "Black magic"

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Question--Colocasia "Black magic"
  • From: "Bryant, Harry E." <HEBryant@scj.com>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:41:16 -0500

Dear Aroid-geeks,

It's probably a question of semantics but I wonder if much of this thread is
based on confusion between mutation, or, changed genotype, and varrying
phenotypic expression of the same genotype in response to the environmental
conditions that are present during tissue culture.  My guess is that it is
phenotype rather than mutation.  I suspect mutations will be caused by much
more rigerous conditions such as strong UV light, or agressive mutagenic
chemicals.  My guess is the only way to find out for sure is to do DNA
analysis and see if the same genes are present but are expressed differently
quantitatively.   And, I doubt anybody in this crowd has the resources to do
this kind of study.

A quick google pointed to the following link on genotype vs. phenotype.  You
may find it of value.

Harry Bryant
(Susan's worst half)