[aroid-l] Conservation International Contribution

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Conservation International Contribution
  • From: "Bryant, Susan L." <SLBryant@scj.com>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 07:26:39 -0500

The company Harry and I work for has announced that it is contributing to
Conservation International to help save forests in South America.  It is
planting 45 acres- with trees!  (Obviously they didn't ask me for my plant
recommendation!)
News release follows
Susan Bryant

SCJ has announced a contribution to Conservation International (CI) to help
save one of the world's most critically threatened "hotspots" of
biodiversity and to offset the carbon emissions associated with the printing
and distribution of the company's annual Public Report.

The 2004 Public Report, Earning Your Goodwill, is now available to all SCJ
employees, customers and consumers online at www.scjohnson.com
<http://www.scjohnson.com>

SCJ is the first global consumer packaged goods manufacturer to support CI's
Conservation Carbon Program to help restore as many as 45 acres of degraded
forests in the Choco-Manabi corridor of Ecuador. "It is our responsibility
as a global company to make good choices for business and the environment,"
says Chairman Fisk Johnson. "We are committed to using natural resources
wisely so that we may help sustain them for future generations."

The 2004 Public Report features the company's key strategic initiatives and
progress around its innovation, environment, community and workplace
excellence. Here are a few key highlights:

Through an innovative turbine system that simultaneously produces
electricity and steam, SC Johnson is producing energy for Waxdale, its
largest manufacturing facility in Racine, Wisconsin. This "cogeneration"
project is improving air quality by utilizing waste methane from a local
landfill that would otherwise be flared into the atmosphere while also
freeing up enough electricity from more traditional sources to power 1,600
homes annually and saving enough natural gas to supply 1,400 homes each
year.

The company is also spearheading a new environmental classification system,
Greenlist(tm) that actively integrates environmentally-preferred raw
materials and packaging components into its products, thus setting new SC
Johnson environmental standards that surpass regulatory requirements and
drive innovation.

SC Johnson launched more than 30 new products around the globe in 2003,
including Mr. Muscle® Orange Floor Wipes, Brise Circul'air® and Ziploc®
Containers with Snap 'n Seal Lids, and the successful integration of the
Bayer Household Insecticides acquisition further strengthened the company's
business around the globe.

Globally, SC Johnson gives back to local communities through contributions
and volunteerism and is being recognized on a growing number of "best place
to work" lists. Last month, SC Johnson France was named the #1 best place to
work in that country. The company also ranked #23 on Fortune magazine's list
of Best Companies to Work For in America; earned Best Place recognition in
the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, Greece, Canada, Mexico and Argentina;
and is one of the top 10 Best Companies for Working Mothers.