[aroid-l] Amorphophallus dormancy question

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Amorphophallus dormancy question
  • From: Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:10:18 -0400

Last season I planted two paeonifolius bulbs out one was about 1ft across while the other was about 7inches across. They both bloomed one in the ground one in a pot. The one in the pot after blooming started putting up leaves. The other in the ground did nothing. Afraid that it was rotting I dug down to find it sitting dormant. So I left it all summer long in the ground the other grew very nice around 9ft tall. At the end of the season I dug the dormant bulb up. I had always believed that a bulb that had bloomed and rested did not put out roots or grow. But the bulb had grown huge over the summer. Almost doubling in size. I did see just a few roots. In many other cases were I have them in pots after blooming they will usually shrink in size. Has anyone else experienced this size increase while a bulb is dormant?