RE: [Aroid-l] typhonodorum lindleyanum seeds

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] typhonodorum lindleyanum seeds
  • From: "Horak, David" davidhorak@bbg.org
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:29:29 -0500

Just to add my two cents. I agree with Peter. Typhonodorum seeds
germinate easily and quickly. Here at the Garden our "parent" display
plant is growing in our shallow pool with its entire root mass
completely submerged.It has been that way for several years now. The 3
original plants we have came from a distribution from Brian Williams
back in 2001.They bloom a couple times a year and regularly "self"
(another topic)  and occasionally, when I have not been diligent seed
falls into the pool and I eventually find germinated seedlings rooting
floating freely in the pool. At the moment I have a large population of
seedlings that unfortunately I cannot offer in a general way, but that
were germinated in a container of water with no soil and then planted
out after the first root/leaf began to appear. It helps if the water
temperature is warm, as in 75-80 degrees. Julius rightfully cautions
about growing these plants submerged. I believe the big issue with
growing with a submerged root zone is having constant fresh water. If
sitting in water that becomes stagnant and is not emptied or replaced
frequently you are very likely to see leaf tip burning and eventually
will kill the plants if the condition is not changed. Lots of fresh

Those who have applied/requested plants will see them soon as the
weather is finally warming up.

Dave Horak
Curator of Orchids and the Robert W. Wilson Aquatic House
Brooklyn Botanic Garden
1000 Washington Avenue
Brooklyn, NY  11225