Re: [Aroid-l] .lnk files ...

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] .lnk files ...
  • From: Steve Marak samarak@gizmoworks.com
  • Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 17:19:56 -0500 (CDT)

Windows uses ".LNK" files as shortcuts - a way to point at where a file is,
rather than having to copy the entire file into a new location. (You may have
seen a prompt from Windows asking if you want to copy a file, or just create a
shortcut to it. If you chose "shortcut", then you created one of these .LNK
files.)

The .LNK file pointed to a location back on the sending computer, which of
course probably isn't valid on yours (and wouldn't point to the right picture
even if it was). It's easy, if you aren't watching carefully, to confuse the
.LNK file and the file to which it points, and that's probably what happened
here.

But where I'm headed is that since Aroid-L is no longer deleting attached
files, everyone should be careful about invoking file types they don't
recognize. (This seems to be a consequence of allowing pictures to go through.
In theory I can allow some types of attachments and not others, but in practice
I haven't got it to work yet.)

Steve

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, john s smolowe wrote:

> i don't recognize the file format .jpg.lnk of your photo of
> anthurium cupulispathum; nor does my computer. would it be possible
> to post the photo in the more common .jpg format (simply deleting
> the .lnk doesn't help). thanks.

-- Steve Marak
-- samarak@gizmoworks.com