[Aroid-l] Mutations/ Natural Hybrid/ Alocasia cucullata (Lour) G. Don

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Mutations/ Natural Hybrid/ Alocasia cucullata (Lour) G. Don
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 16:24:21 +0000

From : 	Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
Sent : 	Friday, March 30, 2007 4:42 PM
To : 	Discussion of aroids <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] Natural Hybrid/ Alocasia cucullata (Lour) G. Don

Dear Folks,

I generally never indulde in 'I told you so`s" in my notes,  But---
I have been preaching for years on how quickly (both in geological time AND sometimes in just a few years!) aroids can and do mutate! Recall the VERY rapid increase in the number of vars./clones of Colocasia esculenta on Hawaii, which took just a few hundred/thousand years to mutate or be increased dramatically by selective cultivation of vegetative mutations. It has increased to many hundreds of distinct vars., as it is believed that the earliest settlers brought just a few vars. of this food-plant with them when they arrived during their epic canoe-journeys across the Pacific ocean. Today there were/are several hundred recognisable clones of this plant in Hawaii. Then there is the Xanthosoma sp. with the little 'frills/lips" under the leaf blade, it will mutate so that you can not recognize a sucker or off-shoot as being produced by the 'mother plant". I`m a little concerned by the number of veins we can observe on the leaf blade of Tony`s plant in his pic., vs. those on both the 'new' mutation AND the original A. cuculata in Windy`s photos, Tony`s plant sem to have many more!

The Best,

Julius

Folks,

I highly suspect you'll find the Alocasia cucullata clone which Tony Avent has under cultivation in North Carolina (available thru PDN) to be of great interest.
Please see: http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/04795.html

Look familiar-?!!

I was so convinced a layout error had occurred when I first came across this
image that I sent Tony an email, about a month ago, suggesting someone had
swapped his images of A. cucullata and A. odora. Here follows Tony's reply*:

"I checked the images and believe it or not, they are not reversed. Our oldest clumps of A. cucculata changed appearance dramatically as they matured to look more like a dwarf clump of A. odora that what we typically think of as A. cucculata. We were quite surprised, but the two photos of A. cuculata are the same clone...just several years apart. If you look close you'll see few immature leaves toward the top and note that even the mature leaves still have the characteristic twisted tip of A. cuculata. The plant pictured as A. odora is actually correct also, although it is photographed early in the season. I wouldn't believe this either unless I'd seen the plants in person and took the photos. Both id's have been confirmed in person by quite a few aroid authorities."

Are we witnessing a spontaneous mutation, coincidentally occurring 7,700km
and an ocean apart? Is this particular variation genetically encoded in one or more lines of Alocasia cucullata, i.e. do these two individual plants in HI and NC somehow share common ancestry? I leave it to finer minds than my own to decipher.

 -Dan

*TA: my apologies for posting this without your prior permission...