Re: 10 Amorphophalls Titan plants

  • Subject: Re: 10 Amorphophalls Titan plants
  • From: ronmchatton@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:37:35 -0400

If they are what I think you bought (company in Deland Florida or Ormond Beach Fl) they are older than a year and some of them have corms up to fist size.  You got an amazing deal.  At one time, mericlones of titanum that had three leaflets and stood about 3-4" tall cost as much as $75 each if you could even find them.  If you look at Plant Delights, I think they are now $50 each.

The plants you bought are seedlings not mericlones and grow very vigorously.  The seed was collected from a moderately high elevation population (not cold growing but they do see mid-60's for brief periods).  I brought in around 4000 of them in from Troy Davis while working for Worldwide Orchids about 3 years ago and we were unable to sell virtually any of them.  At the same time, we also brought in 450 decus-silvae seed and could sell that rarity either.  To my knowledge most of those have gone to the great Aroid site in the sky.  It's really an unfortunately story considering home much of that rare material simply died from neglect when I left.  The seedlings reached 18" tall in the first year and they would be even bigger than they are if they had received decent care after I left and before EFG bought them all.  Some people on this list may remember the year that I brought a bunch of material to the Aroid Show at the Fairc hild.....September following Hurrican Wilma.

Ron McHatton
Zone 9
Central Florida