Dracunculus vulgaris hardiness

  • Subject: Dracunculus vulgaris hardiness
  • From: Victor Soukup <soukupvg@email.uc.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 11:24:24 -0400

Hi,
	In the vicinity of Cincinnati, OH, zone 5 or 6 depending on exactly where
you live, Dracunculus vulgaris is completely (?) hardy.  I have plants
which I started from seed in a deciduous woods on a slight north sloping
hillside and they grow and bloom (when the deer don't take a tasting
bite).  In fact the main stems are already 18 inches tall and looking very
healthy in spite of a very bad and long winter and delayed spring.  I would
expect that you would have greater success growing this plant outdoors with
the tuber planted about 10 inches deep and well mulched during the
winter.  I've seen a huge plant in Turkey at about 3000 feet in late May in
which the spathe was about 25 inches long and the spadix was a few inches
longer --- truly magnificent --- although it was top heavy and lying on the
ground.
	Good luck and good growing.

Vic Soukup
Herbarium