Re: Any Good Aroids Nurseries in California?

Hi George,

I wish there were some nurseries I could recommend (and I've looked
everywhere), but I think you will find the east coast (as in Florida)
to have any nurseries replete with aroids. Succulent plants seem to
rule on the west coast.

While you're in the Bay Area, though, UC Berkeley's Botanical Garden
will have their spring sale on the 26th and 27th where they usually
have some aroids for sale (but no match for the IAS Show). Be aware
that parking and traffic can be quite a nightmare Saturday morning!
Take the bus or come really early if you want come to this.

They also have some aroids in their Tropical House which is worth a

I would recommend San Francisco's Conservatory of Flowers to also see
(a few) aroids. Of note is their 100 year old philodendron speciosum
which is literally a tall tree. To my dismay, I was informed that most
of their philodendron collection was shipped away, so you won't really
find many there anymore. But there are other nice tropicals to view.

In the LA area, I very highly recommend visiting The Huntington. They
have a new, state of the art conservatory with some fine large aroids.
If you have any interest in succulent plants, you cannot miss their
Desert Garden--one of the best I've ever seen and truly immersive.

Hope this information is helpful. Have a good trip.

Tom Vincze