Re: Any Good Aroids Nurseries in California?

  • Subject: Re: Any Good Aroids Nurseries in California?
  • From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:47:56 -0700

Though it's obviously not a nursery per se, the University of Calif.
Botanical Garden/ Berkeley is coincidentally having their annual
Spring Plant Sale on Saturday, April 26 from 10a to 2p.  And the
member's-only advance sale is Friday April 25 from 5p to 7:30p
should you wish to get first crack at things by joining at the gate.

Truth be told I have no idea what will be offered from the realm
of Araceae at this sale.  If anything...  likely some Mediterranean
genera; possibly some Ariseama spp. and/or Amorpho. titanum
seed as a result of the garden's recent blooming/ pollination (?).

Do keep in mind the clime over here: we rarely see freezing temps
but we also rarely see 90º F/ 32º C by the coast.  Which is to say
our conditions are rather mild & band-limited all year long, tending
towards the cooler end of things.  This of course influences what
is commercially or otherwise grown...

Regardless the garden is not to be missed and I humbly submit
that any bona fide plant person will find -something- at a UCBG
plant sale they need to own.  Perhaps some stunning Lapageria
cultivars for your cloud forest garden in Metro-Manilla?      :  )

Enjoy your trip to the Bay Area, and if there's anything I can do
to assist you while here, please don't hesitate to contact me off-list.

- Dan Levin
Preteritus Praesieo/ IAS