Re: What is the function or reddish abaxial leaf surface?

  • Subject: Re: What is the function or reddish abaxial leaf surface?
  • From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973@wp.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 02:32:10 +0200

Dear Ferenc,
When a plant is exposed to too strong sunlight, the leaves' upper side often becomes red, purple or violet to protect the chlorophyll layer below from damage.
Plants growing in deep shade have often the abaxial surface, below the chlorophyll red to violet. It works like a mirror. For photosynthesis plants require the red and blue wavelengths of the sunlight spectrum. When the leaf below the chlorophyll layer is red, violet or purple (combinations of red + blue), the light passes the chlorophyll layer, then it is being reflected by the coloured layer below and passes the chlorophyll layer twice. This way some plants have accomodated in evolution to live in low light.