RE: edible aroids

----------
From: 	aroid-l@mobot.org on behalf of papillote@tod.dm
Sent: 	Wednesday, April 23, 1997 11:07 AM
To: 	Julius Boos
Subject: 	RE: edible aroids

>Dear Eduardo
>In Dominica we make calaloo with the young furled leaves of Colocasia
>esculenta.
>The skin from the rib  of the leaf is removed with a knife before cooking.
>Sometimes we add the milk from the coconut to make it richer.
>We peel and parboil the corm, crush it and mix it with chopped onion, celery,

>spices and a little butter,roll it into fingers and fry it golden.
>Anne
>Anne G. J. Baptiste
>Papillote Wilderness Retreat

>papillote@tod.dm
>http://www.delphis.dm/papillot.htm
>http://papillote.com

Dear Anne,
                Did you read my receipe for calaloo, and what did you think of
it as a fellow W.Indian?  We do something simular to your fried Dasheen
"fingers", but with raw grated Tannia [Xanthosoma sagittifolia], the white of
an egg,chopped onion, garlic, etc. fried in hot oil.  It`s called "tannia
fritters"