Re: Anchomanes ID, root quest.

hermine@endangeredspecies.com writes:

<< >I am having an argument on another list. Can anyone help me? I have never
 >heard of any plant anywhere that has roots that could be considered
 >phototropic. Is this a correct assumption?? >>

The quote above is not Hermine's but the original question. I concur with
many of Hermine's observations. But would like to add one additional
possibility to the discussion. Perhaps the roots in question are not actually
responding to phototropic stimuli but may be negatively geotropic. Many
plants send roots to the surface in poorly aerated soils. Once exposed to
light, underground plant parts frequently develop chlorophyll. Witness
potatoes!

Jim Langhammer