International Aroid Conference

For those interested in the upcoming conference, here is the latest
schedule and other information.  Please remember that things may
change (and probably will!).  If you have any questions, contact
either Tom Croat or me (Beth Cosgriff).

VIII INTERNATIONAL AROID
CONFERENCE IN ST. LOUIS

Though probably all of you are aware of the aroid conference this
summer in St. Louis, I would like to remind contributors that time is
rapidly slipping away and all of us need to make our preparations.
Those of you who have already made the commitment to come need to turn
in your pre-registration form so that we can make plans for the number
of participants.  For those of you who have not made commitments,
please consider the meetings carefully.  It is important for the
success of the conference that we have a large turnout, not only
because we all have a contribution to make but because it will be an
excellent time to renew old acquaintances, to meet new aroid
personalities and to have a generally great time.  We already have
participants who plan to attend from all over the world including
China, Japan, Vietnam, India, Turkey, Russia, Croatia, Germany,
Denmark, Sweden, England, France, Mexico and Brazil.  For those who
are not so far away, the meetings will be less expensive and I hope
that many of you in North America will attend and meet our overseas
fellow aroiders and  participate in the conference.  The meetings have
been planned specifically to appeal to a broad spectrum of
participants and there will be days packed with interesting and
educational activities.

Although there are a few presentations which are still tentative for
one reason or another we will present here a tentative outline of the
program.  This is your opportunity to make corrections, additions,
deletions, etc., if I have somehow misunderstood what you have asked
to do.  Please let me know if there are any changes that need to be
made in the program.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Sunday, August 1 through Saturday, August 7, 1999
International Botanical Congress

Saturday, August 7 and Sunday, August 8, 1999
Guests are welcome to work in MBG's herbarium, library, and research
greenhouse (by appointment please).

Sunday, August 8, 1999
Barbecue at Valle Escondido with Beer and American Bluegrass Music

Monday, August 9 through Wednesday, August 11, 1999
International Aroid Conference

Monday, August 9, 1999
OPENING SESSION

8:30 AM	Opening Remarks by Thomas B. Croat (Missouri Botanical Garden)

Welcoming Address
Dewey Fisk (International Aroid Society President)

FIRST SESSION: ARACEAE OF GENERAL AREAS
Moderator: Dan Nicolson (Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.)

9:00 AM   	Araceae of Indomalesia
Alistair Hay (Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney, Australia)

9:30 AM   	Araceae of South America
Thomas B. Croat (Missouri Botanical Garden)

10:00 AM  	Araceae of the Mediterranean Region
Peter Boyce (Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, England)

10:20 AM  	Coffee break

10:35 AM  	Araceae of North America
Sue Thompson (Carnegie Museum, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)

11:00 AM  	Araceae of the Indian Subcontinent
Shrirang R. Yadav (Shivaji University, India)

11:30 AM  	Araceae of Africa and Madagascar
Josef Bogner (Munich Botanical Garden, Germany)

12:00 PM  	Box Lunches in Flora Display Area

Monday, August 9, 1999
SECOND SESSION: AROID COLLECTIONS, HORTICULTURAL & HERBARIUM
Moderator: Simon Mayo (Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, England)

1:00 PM   	Important Horticultural Collections of South Florida
Dewey Fisk (Davie, Florida)

1:20 PM   	Aroids at Selby Botanical Garden
Donna Atwood (Sarasota, Florida)

1:40 PM   	Aroids at Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
Mike Marsh (Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, England) (presenter)
Peter Boyce (Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, England)

2:00 PM   	Aroid Collections at Munich Botanical Garden
Josef Bogner (Munich Botanical Garden, Germany)

2:20 PM   	Aroid Collections in Russia
Mikhail Serebryanyi (Main Moscow Botanical Garden, Russia)

2:40 PM   	Aroid Collections in Southern California
R. M. Cirino (Costa Mesa, California)

3:00 PM   	Coffee Break

3:20 PM   	Aroid Collections of Jardin botanique national de Belgique
Frieda Billiet (Meise, Belgium)

3:40 PM   	Hardy Temperate Plant Collections
(new speaker, new topic?)

4:00 PM   	Private Collections of Note
 To be Announced

4:20 PM   	Aroid Collections in Australia
 To be Announced

4:40 PM   	Aroid Collections at the Atlanta Botanical Garden
Ron Gagliardo (Atlanta, Georgia)

Monday Evening
August 9, 1999

5:15 PM   	Reception in Research Greenhouse
Tours of non-public greenhouses given by
Jim Cocos, Curator of the Living Plant Collections

6:30 PM   	Dinner Break

8:30 PM	Welcoming Address
Peter Raven, Director (Missouri Botanical Garden)

9:00 PM	Evening Lecture
Aroid Personalities, a Personal Perspective
Thomas B. Croat (Missouri Botanical Garden)

 Tuesday, August 10, 1999
THIRD SESSION: MORPHOLOGY, SYSTEMATICS AND EVOLUTION
Moderator: Josef Bogner (Munich Botanical Garden, Germany)

8:30 AM   	Classification of Rhodospatha
Thomas B. Croat (Missouri Botanical Garden)

8:50 AM   	Revision of Rhaphidophora of Asia
Peter Boyce (Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, England)

9:10 AM   	Revision of Alocasia in Indomalesia
Alistair Hay (Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney, Australia)

9:30 AM   	Revision of Philodendron subg. Pteromischum of Brazil
Marcus Nadruz (Jardin Botanico, Rio de Janiero, Brazil)

9:50 AM   	The Taxonomy of Amorphophallus
Wilbert Hetterscheid (Hortus Botanicus, Leiden, The Netherlands)

10:10 AM  	Aroid Pollinators and Herbivores
Sue Thompson (Carnegie Museum, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)
John Rawlins (Carnegie Museum, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) (presenter)

10:30 AM  	Coffee Break

10:50 AM  	Insect Pollination Systems in Araceae
Danny Beath (Shropshire, England)

11:10 AM  	Classification of Arisaema
Jin Murata (Tokyo Metropolitan Museum, Japan)

11:30 AM  	Classification of Dracontium
Guanghua Zhu (Missouri Botanical Garden)

11:50 AM  	Shoot Morphology of Brazilian Aroid Climbers
Ivanilza Moreira de Andrade (Universidade Estadual de Sobral, Ceara,
Brazil) (presenter) Simon  J. Mayo (Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew,
England)

12:1O PM  	Box Lunches in Floral Display Hall

 Tuesday, August 10, 1999
FOURTH SESSION: ARACEAE OF SPECIFIC AREAS
Moderator: Sue Thompson (Carnegie Museum, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)

1:00 PM	The Revised Araceae of China Project
Li Heng (Academia Sinica, Kunming, P.R. China)
Guanghua Zhu (Missouri Botanical Garden)

1:20 PM   	Araceae of Brunei
Peter Boyce (Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, England)

1:40 PM 	Aroids from Central Brazil
Eduardo Gomes Gonçalves (Universidade de Brasillia, Brazil)

2:00 PM   	Araceae for Flora of Ecuador Project
Thomas B. Croat (Missouri Botanical Garden)
Richard Mansell (University of South Florida) (presenter)

2:20 PM   	Araceae of Chiapas State, Mexico
Miguel Pérez Farrera (Universidad de los Tuxtla, Chiapas, Mexico)  *

2:40 PM	Philodendron subgen. Philodendron sect. Calostigma of Brazil
  Cássia Mônica Sakuragui (Universudade Estadual de Maringa, Parana,
  Brazil)

3:00 PM   	Coffee Break

3:20 PM   	Araceae of Bajo Calima (Valle Department, Colombia)
Dorothy Bay (Southwest Missouri State College, Joplin, Missouri)

3:40 PM   	Araceae of Vietnam
Mikhail Serebryanyi (Main Moscow Botanical Garden, Russia)

4:00 PM   	The Araceae of Thailand
  Duangchai Sookchalaoem (Thailand Forestry Department, Bangkok)  *
 Tuesday Evening
August 10, 1999

4:20 PM   	Tour of Aroid Herbarium and Research Offices
  Lehmann Research Building

 5:30 PM   	Reception in Lehmann Research Building

 6:30 PM   	Dinner Break

9:00 PM  	Evening Lecture
  The World of Aroids
John Banta

 Wednesday, August 11, 1999
FIFTH SESSION: PLANT BREEDING AND HORTICULTURAL PRACTICES
Moderator: Jin Murata (Tokyo Metropolitan University, Japan)

8:30 AM   	Breeding Research at University of Florida Agricultural
Research Station, Apopka
J. Henny (Apopka, Florida)

8:50 AM   	The Anthurium Cut-Flower Industry in the Netherlands
Nic van der Knaap (Anthura B.V., Bleiswick, The Netherlands)
(presenter)
Nick van Rosmalen (Anthura B.V., Bleiswick, The
Netherlands)

9:10 AM   	Cultural Techniques Important to Araceae
Cheryl Neuman (Missouri Botanical Garden)

9:30 AM 	Procedures and Methodology of Preparing Modern Taxonomic
Revisions 			Beth L. Cosgriff (Missouri Botanical Garden)

9:50 AM   	Progress in Micropropagation of Araceae
Scott Hyndman (Apopka, Florida)

10:10 AM  	Coffee Break

10:30 AM	A Phylogeny of Caladium and its Allies Inferred from Multiple
Molecular Markers
   Jane Whitehill (University of Missouri, St. Louis)

10:50 AM  	Taro Cultivation in Hawaii
Speaker to be announced

11:10 AM  	Biotech Breeding of Anthurium
Adelheid Kunhle (University of Hawaii, Honolulu) (Video Presentation)

11:20 AM	Cultural Requirements for Plants of Different Life Zones
  Roundtable Discussion, Participants Include:
  Betsy Feuerstein, John Banta, Richard Cirino

11:40 AM  	Registration of Hybrid Plants by the International Aroid
Society
  Roundtable Discussion,  Participants Include:

12:00 PM  	Box lunches in Floral Display Hall

Wednesday, August 11, 1999
SIXTH SESSION: MISCELLANEOUS PAPER SESSION
Moderator: Alistair Hay (Royal Botanical Garden, Sydney, Australia)

1:00 PM   	Advances in the Cytology of Araceae
Richard S. Sheffer (Indiana University Northwest, Gary)

1:20 PM   	Developmental Morphology of Temperate Araceae
Robin Scribailo (Purdue University, Westville, Indiana)

1:40 PM   	Investigations in the Anatomy of the Araceae
Richard Keating (Missouri Botanical Garden)

2:00 PM   	Coffee Break

2:20 PM   	Morphological, Cytological, Palynological and
Phytogeographical Relationship between Arum alpinum, A.
cylindraceum, A. lucanum, A. danicum and their Taxonomic Position
Marija Bedalov (University of Zagreb, Croatia) *

2:40 PM	Studies of Tribe Lasioideae (Araceae)
Julius Boos (West Palm Beach, Florida)

3:00 AM   	Fatty Acid Distribution in Araceae and its Systematic
Significance Victor Soukup (University of Cincinnati,  Ohio)

3:20 PM	Araceae of Western Ghats, India
Shrirang Ramchadra Yadav (Shivaji University, Kolhapur, India) *

3:40 PM   	Revision of American Homalomena
Richard P.Wunderlin (University of South Florida, Tampa)

4:00 PM	Aroid-L and the International Aroid Society Web Page
Steve Marak (Bentonville, Arkansas)
Don Burns (Plantation, Florida)
Guanghua Zhu (Missouri Botanical Garden)

4:20 PM   	Roundtable Discussion of IAS Webpage Development
   Participants:  Guanghua Zhu,  Scott Hyndman, Don Burns, Thomas
   Mottl

Wednesday Evening
August 11, 1999

5:30 PM   	Cocktails on Spoerer Plaza

7:00 PM   	Banquet in Monsanto Hall

8:00 PM  	Banquet Lecture
The History of Classification in Araceae and a Modern Day Consensus
Dan Henry Nicolson (Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.)

9:30 PM   	Awarding of H. W. Schott Aroid Medal of Excellence
Proposals for IX International Aroid Conference
Closing Remarks

POSTER SESSION
We are listing here the posters that have currently been committed
for the VIII International Aroid Conference in an attempt to get you
to think about posters that you may wish to contribute yourself.
Posters may be submitted on any subject that deals with aroids
including those portraying private collections. Even those of you who
are committed to oral presentations might consider making posters as
well for an extension of your oral remarks or on completely separate
topics.  This is an opportunity for you to show everyone the full
breadth of your interest in Araceae.  Posters will be on display all
during the conference.  I am calling right now for someone to do one
on the problems of tagging plants (methods, durability of tags, new
methods, etc.).  I have been unable to get anyone to talk on this
subject and it is a matter that troubles all of us.  You do not need
to be a real expert on anything to design an interesting and
beautiful poster. Some of you may wish to do a poster on your own
collection or your own plant business as a means of advertising it.
There are no rules and I am sure that we will enjoy all of them.  If
you want to present a poster please let us know the title so that we
can put it in the final program and so that we can plan for the
number of poster stands that will be needed.  Posters should fit on a
1.2 m (4 foot) square board. There will be two posters per board per
side for a total of 4 posters per stand.  I have not seen the actual
material involved and it may be variable as to composition so that
the best method of attachment would probably be double-faced tape
(sticky on both surfaces).  We will have some of this available but
if you have any other ideas about how to fasten your poster please
bring the necessary items you will need.

Prof. Dr. Kerim Alpinar, Istanbul University
"The Uses Of Aroids In Turkish Folk Medicine"

Ivanilza Moreira De Andrade, Brazil
"Dynamic Shoot Morphology In Monstera adansonii Schott var.
klotzchiana (Schott/Madison (Araceae)"

Deni Bown, England
"Aroids-Plants Of The Arum Family (Revised Edition)"

Matyas Buzgo, University Of Zurich
"The Gynoecium Of Gymnostachys (Araceae) And Potamogeton"

Fakai Chen, Kunming Institute of Botany, China
"The Species Distribution of Araceae in Yunnan, P.R. of China"

Fure-Chyi Chen with Chien-In Ke, Wan-Lin Wu & Shih-Wen Chin
National Pingtung University of Science and Technology, Taiwan
"Cytogenetic and Molecular Markers are Useful Tools from Spathiphyllum
Breeding"

Wen-Bing Chen with Hua-An Xie, Fujian Academy of Agricultural
Sciences, China "Molecular Biological Studies on the Phylogeny of
Amorphophallus"

Thomas B. Croat, Missouri Botanical Garden
"Dieffenbachia of Central America" and "Araceae of La Planada, Narino,
Colombia"

Nguyen Van Dzu, Institute Of Biology And Biological Resources
"The Diversity Of Vietnamese Aroids"

Eduardo Gomes Gonçalves, Universidade de Brasillia (Brazil)
"Advances On The Tribe Spathicarpeae"
"Aroids From Hyperseasonal Savannas--A Vegetative Syndrome?
and with E.A.S. Paiva and M.A. Nadruz Coelho
"A Preliminary Survey Of Petiolar Collenchyma In The Araceae"

Gijs Grob, University Of Amsterdam
"The Phylogeny Of Amorphophallus  Based On Chloroplast DNA PCR-RFLPs"

Lynn Hannon, Richard Mansell, Thomas B. Croat
"The Flora of the Lita Region of Ecuador (Esmeraldas Province)"

Alistair Hay, Peter Boyce, Wilbert Hetterscheid, Neils Jacobsen, Jin
Murata, Josef Bogner, Widjaja, and Dan Nicolson "The Araceae of
Malesia, Australia and the Tropical Western Pacific"

Li Heng, Kunming Institute of Botany, China
"Current Advances of Araceae Studies in China"

Richard Keating, Missouri Botanical Garden
"Specialization of Collenchyma in Araceae and its Relation to
Classification" and "Variation in Calcium Oxalate Raphides in
Araceae".

Alba Lins, Museu Paraense Emilio
"Venation Patterns In Some Aquatic Species Of Urospatha"

Pao-Chung Kao, Chengdu Institute Of Biology, Academia Sinica
"Arisaema In The Omei Mountains"

David Mclean, Fort Lauderdale, Fl
"Nova Southeastern University Medicinal Garden"

Marcus A. Nadruz Coelho, Brazil
"The Aroid Collections Of Rio De Janeiro Botanical Garden"

Martha Marcela Mora-Pinto, Colombia
"The Aroids Of Rain Forests Of Colombia"

David Draper Munt and Antonio Rossello Graell
Museu, Laboratorio E Jardim Botanico, Portugal
"Distribution Patterns Of Arum Species Of The Occidental Mediterranean
Area"

Dr. Kumar S. Patil, Smt. K.W. College, India
"Cytotaxonomical Studies In Amorphophallus"

Romaric Pierrel, Conservatoire Et Jardins Botaniques De Nancy, France
"How To Increase The Scientific Value of the Nancy Botanical Garden
Aroid Collections" (Maybe)

Yadav Shrirang Ramchandra, Shivaji University, India
"Some Aroids Of Peninsular India"

Lawrence Ramsden, U. of Hong Kong
"Aroid Arabinogalactans"

Cassia Monica Sakuragui, Brazil
"Philodendron Section Calostigma in Brazil"
"Araceae of Campos Rupestres from Cadeia do Espinhaco, Minas Gerais
State, Brazil"

Bahavuddin Sulaiman, University Sains Maleysia
(Not Indicated)

Valentina Tarasevich, Komarov Bot. Insitute
"Features Of Specialization Within Araceae In Connection With Electron
Microscopic Investigations Of Pollen Wall"

Yilin Ying, Kunming Institute of Botany, China
"The Application of Amorphophallus Konjac in Food and Industry"

Hiromichi Yoshino, Japan
"Phylogenetic Relationships Of Taro In Asia And Oceania"

Ning Zhang, Kunming Insititute Of Botany, Academia Sinica
"The Use And The Development Of Amorphophallus Plants"
"The Marketing Value of Amorphophallus Konjac"

Dao Zhiling, Kunming Institute of Botany, China
"Araceae From Gaoligong Mountains, West Yunnan, China"

TRANSPORTATION
St. Louis, a metropolitan area of approximately 2.4 million people,
is centrally located in the United States and can easily be reached
by plane, train, or automobile.  The city is served by a large
international airport (Lambert Field), railways (Amtrak) and by
several major interstates (I-55, I-70, and I-64).  St. Louis also has
an outstanding public transportion system comprised of buses
(BiState), shuttle buses, and the Metrolink light rail system,
which extends from Lambert Airport throughout the downtown area.
Taxis, limousine service and rental cars are also available at the
airport and throughout the metropolitan area.

Those of you in foreign lands should consult your own botanical
community to see if there are special arrangements being made for
flights to and from the International Botanical Congress which is
being held in St. Louis the previous week.  Collectively the botanist
of your region may be making arrangements with your own national
carrier and you may get a special price.  For those of you who have
pre-registered for the IBC, the Final Circular is now being mailed.
This includes an outline of the scientific program as well as 24
regional scientific trips and 30 local tours to chose from.

For those in Florida where many of our members are concentrated I want
to suggest the possibility of driving to avoid the higher cost of
flying.  Though it looks like a long haul, it really is a pleasant and
comfortable drive (Peter Boyce, his wife Jill and I made the trip last
year and included stops at such botanical highlights as the Atlanta
Botanical Garden, Tampa aroid collections, Selby Garden and other
private collections).  Perhaps the local IAS Chapter could discuss
this and make arrangements for many of you who want to come but could
not afford the airfare.  Another possibility is to charter a bus.
Donna Atwood and I looked into doing this one year and the costs were
quite reasonable if you have twenty or so people who would
participate.  Sharing a whole bus with fellow aroiders would make it a
fun trip and you could break up the trip with stops in Tampa, Atlanta
and Nashville.  Short of chartering a bus you could simply all
purchase your tickets from Greyhound at the same time making it pretty
certain that you would travel together and even transfer together if
there is not direct service between Miami and St. Louis.  I have not
checked but there is more likely to be direct service between Miami
and Atlanta and Atlanta and St. Louis but even so you would likely end
up on the same buses anyway.

ACCOMODATONS
Room blocks in two local hotels have been reserved.  Price depends on
the number of persons sharing a room and the type of room desired.
Tax is currently 14.10%.

Best Western Inn at the Park
4630 Lindell Blvd.
St. Louis, MO  63108
Phone: 314-367-7500

The Hotel is located about 1 mile north of the Garden off Kings
Highway. The Hotel will provide a shuttle van for conference guests in
the morning and evening, or as scheduled. Also, there is a "shuttle
bug" stop directly across the street from the Hotel that guests can
ride to a nearby MetroLink light rail station.  From there, they can
catch the "Garden Shuttle" to MoBot or the train to Lambert
International Airport. This is very convenient for those arriving from
out of town.
-Singles (1 king bed): 25 rooms have been blocked at 1/$75 and 2/$75.
-Doubles (2 double beds): 15 rooms have been blocked at 1 or 2/$85.
These are very large "European style" rooms and have been newly
redecorated.

To make reservations, guests should call 1-800-373-7501 and ask for
Jeanne Castillo (Sales). There is no block number to be cited.
-----------------------

Red Roof Inns
5823 Wilson Ave.
Hampton and Interstate-44
St. Louis, MO  63110
Phone: 314-645-0101
The Hotel is located about two miles West of the Garden.
-Doubles: 29 rooms blocked at 1/$80.99, 2/$90.00, 3/$100.99, and
4/$110.99. -Kings: 11 rooms blocked at 1/$80.99 and 2/$90.99.
Individuals must make their own reservations by calling
1-800-843-7663 by 7-17-99. Use Block # B135000364 (8th International
Aroid Conference). Rooms are blocked from 07-Aug-99 to 12-Aug-99, but
additional days can be requested.

For those who are driving, there are many convenient places to stay,
including the hotels listed below.  Rates quoted here are for two
adults and do not include tax.   Additional hotel information can be
found on the St. Louis tourism web site:
http://www.stldirect.com/Tourism/index.html.

Holiday Inn at Hampton (5915 Wilson Ave) 314-645-0700
Ten minutes west of the Garden off I-44; $119 King or Two double beds

Holiday Inn (Viking) at Watson & Lindberg 314-821-6600
Twenty minutes west of the Garden off I-44
$101 (Ask for the Great Rate) King Size bed with sofa sleeper or two
double beds.

Days Inn (Lindberg and I-44) 314-965-9733
Twenty minutes west of the Garden off I-44; $65 King; $70 Two double
beds

Chippewa Motel, 7880 Watson 314-962-7020 (Spartan)
Twenty minutes west of the Garden; 3 miles east of I-270 & I-44
intersection $40 1 double bed; $45 two double beds

Wayside Inn, 7800 Watson 314-261-2324 (Spartan)
$40 1 double bed; $50 2 single beds

Drury Inn Convention Center 1-800-325-8300
Single $99; Double $109

Holiday Inn Select 1-800-465-4329
Downtown near Convention Center
Single $93; Double $93; Triple $103; Quadruple $113

I encourage you to call and make reservations early since August is a
busy tourist season in St. Louis and the hotels fill up fast.

THE CITY OF ST. LOUIS
I encourage you to include some time in St. Louis to see the sights.
There are a lot of attractions in the St. Louis area since it is one
of the oldest cities in the country (settled as early as 1769) and
steeped with history of the American Expansion.  For history buffs,
we suggest a visit to the Jefferson Memorial Museum in Forest Park
(home of the 1904 World's Fair) and the excellent museum under the
Arch along the Mississipi River.  Near the Arch grounds are the Old
Cathedral, the oldest west of the Mississippi River and the Old Court
House, site of the Dred Scott decision.  You can take tours up and
down the Mississippi River on a replica paddle-wheel steamer, gamble
to your heart's content on one of several riverboat casinos, visit the
pre-Colombian settlement at Cahokia Mounds, or visit the site at the
mouth of the Missouri River where Lewis and Clark overwintered before
their departure to the west.  Also downtown is Busch Stadium, home of
the St. Louis Cardinals and the new home run king, Mark Mcgwire, the
New Cathedral with the largest collection of mosaics in the world, and
Union Station, once the busiest railroad station in the world, now
restored and filled with unique shops and wonderful places to eat.
Located in Forest Park near the Botanical Garden are the St. Louis
Science Center, the Art Museum and an excellent zoo.  The National
Transportation Museum is located near I-44 and I-270.

The Missouri Botanical Garden and host to the conference is only
minutes from downtown.  It is the oldest botanical garden in the
country and features 79 acres of botanical displays.  Among the
features are the 14 acre Japanese Garden considered one of the finest
outside Japan, the Chinese Garden, English Woodland Garden with a
number of well established temperate aroids, and  the Climatron, the
geodesic dome designed by Buckmeister Fuller.  It is filled with
tropical plants featuring especially (what else) aroids!  The Kemper
Home Gardening Center features 17 display gardens designed to show
ways to landscape with plants.  Other features are the Temperate House
where we have established Orontium aquaticum, and the Linnean House,
the oldest continuously operating greenhouse west of the Mississippi.
On the grounds are the Lehmann Building, housing half of the herbarium
which includes the world's largest collection of AROIDS.  Browse
through this collection and find where all the species occur.  We will
have one of our evening socials (to unwind after a day of talks and
before we go to dinner) in this building which contains my office.  On
another evening we will meet at the same time in the Research
Greenhouses for our social.  There you will see predominantly AROIDS
but we will also have behind the scenes look at all the other
collections including an excellent collection of orchids.

Our conference will be held in the Ridgway Center, the main entrance
building to the Garden, in a 400 seat, air-conditioned auditorium (so
there is no need to worry about not having a seat).  Our coffee breaks
and poster displays will be held in the immediate vicinity.

For those of you who are arriving by Sunday and can attend my party at
Valle Escondido here are directions.  Coming from St. Louis take I-44
west to Allenton-Six Flags exit #261.  This is about 16 miles west of
the I-270 beltway.  Turn left at the stop light at the bottom of the
exit ramp.  Then pass under the highway and take a right at the stop
sign onto Historic Route 66.  Go two miles west and turn right on
Hillview Drive. (If you pass the Red Cedar Inn, you missed the turn).
Hillview goes northwest and dead-ends at the top of the hill.  My
place is just beyond the end of the blacktop. Look straight ahead and
you can see my barn.  The house is down to the right with a U-shaped
gravel  driveway.  Drinking and music will begin at 2:00 PM.  We'll
have some real Ozark bluegrass music.  Food will follow.  Hope to see
you there.

FINAL CIRCULARS
This announcement will be followed in April or May by the Final
Circular.  This will be sent only to those who have pre-registered.
The Final Circular will accomodate changes resulting from this mailing
and will be a call for Abstracts of all oral presentations and poster
presentations.  The deadline for submission of Abstracts will be June
1, 1999.   It is essential that we get all abstracts at that time to
enable these to be available to you during the conference.  When the
Final Circular arrives you will have the opportunity to prepay your
registration costs of $100.  Registration at the time of the
conference will be $110.
Kind regards,

Beth Cosgriff

VIII IAC General Secretary