Re: non-aroid question

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: non-aroid question
  • From: Don Martinson <llmen@execpc.com>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2000 01:26:05 -0500 (CDT)

>A friend of mine asked for help identifying the disease on some of
>his ... water hyacinths.  They were supposedly doing perfectly fine
>in the pond from which he got them.  He says that within just a
>couple days, the leaves began to turn white and all growth stopped.
>
>Here's a photo of the dwindling plants:
>http://home.att.net/~schale/bitmaps/hyac.jpg
>
>Given the variegation (especially that on the two-tone leaf), I
>thought this might be a virus.  Does anyone out there have any other
>ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>         Les

Hmmmm....

I note that in the photo, they are apparently growing in some rapidly
moving water, which is not where you generally find them.  I also
note the elongated petiole on the older leaves, suggesting they might
have been grown in different light levels.  Still, the variegation
suggests the possibility of a virus.   If so, hurry up and patent it
so you can sell it as a biological control!

--
Don Martinson
Milwaukee, Wisconsin