Re: Amorphophallus konjac

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus konjac
  • From: magrysbo@shu.edu
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 18:38:18 -0500 (CDT)

This is certainly the way Sauromatum (Typhonium) venosum behaves! Yong ones
pop up all over the place in my garden and the only way I can distinguish
them from Arisaemas they get near is lack of a cataphyll and, if not in
deep shade, the characteristic purple spots on the petioles. I should be so
lucky with the arisaemas.
Bonaventure Magrys

Paul Tyerman <ptyerman@ozemail.com.au>@mobot.org on 08/01/2001 12:44:49 AM

Please respond to aroid-l@mobot.org

Sent by:  aroid-l@mobot.org

To:   Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>

At 10:38  31/07/01 -0500, you wrote:
>A couple of people here in central NC (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, zone
>7) tell me they've planted this out and are now fearful that it will
>become invasive because it produces so many offspring.  Anyone else had
>that experience?

I must admit that I have wondered this a bit too.  Certainly once you have
it in a spot there is no way you could get rid of it all (at least if it
grows like it does in a pot).  I know that the offsets produced in one year
will quadruple in size and produce numerous offsets the following year (at
least in a pot).

Does anyone know if this multiplication applies in its ground growth as
well?  I planted out one (well we think it is one ...... bought as Amorph
abyssinicus but we figure most likely a konjac clone slightly different
from others I have) into my garden this season.  The main tuber has tripled
this year (and hopefully will tripple again next season and then flower)
but I didn't even attempt to find offsets.  I assume there were some, but
in th ground the chances of finding would be pretty small.

Hopefully someone out there has experiences they can share.  Sounds wierd
to be asking whether an Amorphophallus is invasive, but I certainly think a
worthwhile question to get answered.

Paul Tyerman

Growing.... Galanthus, Erythroniums, Fritillarias, Crocus, Cyrtanthus,
Liliums, Hellebores, Aroids, Irises plus just about anything else that
doesn't move!!!!!