Bargains at the Indian Mart

  • Subject: Bargains at the Indian Mart
  • From: magrysbo@shu.edu
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 19:03:33 -0500 (CDT)

Dear fellow aroiders,
I went on a search for "suran" at Indian groceries in Edison, NJ and found
it, for $2.99 a pound. That translates to one 5 lb. tuber of Amorphophalus
paeonifolius and one 3 lb. for about $24. Just imagine what shipping costs
alone would be for the cantalope and grapefruit sized tubers. The second
one I bought because it was among others in a separate bin. I was told that
it is the same but has a different taste. It will be interesting to see if
there are vegetative and floral differences.
The tubers are healthy and firm with no damage, though no growing points
are apparent yet. They don't appear to be covered in wax. I set them down
on moist soil under clear plastic of an open cold frame where they'll get
2-3 hours of sun a day, until the nights get too cold or they start
growing. A Kaichen A-103 2000 lost its point this spring but with this
treatment recently rallied with three fat shoots and now is in pot.
Bonaventure Magrys
Cliffwood beach, NJ USA