Amorphs where you least expect 'em

  • Subject: Amorphs where you least expect 'em
  • From: StellrJ@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 19:50:49 -0500 (CDT)

Fellow Fans of Foliage and Flora:

The other day, I was reading the ingredients list on my vegetarian friend's box of GardenBurger(R) patties.  It had the expected ingredients -- soy, etc. -- but then it said "contains less than 1% of the following," and gave another list.  Fourth or fifth on that list was "konjak flour."  Now how many people outside the Aroid fraternity know what that is?

I remember when I first traveled to the tropics, I looked forward to the chance to finally eat an aroid (Taro, Tania).  But it seems some of us in the temprerate zone may have eaten an aroid without even realizing it.

Jason Hernandez
Naturalist-at-Large