Re: Fw: USDA regulation (seed phytos)

  • Subject: Re: Fw: USDA regulation (seed phytos)
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:12:05 -0500 (CDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: Leo A. Martin <leo1010@attglobal.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2002 12:36 AM

Hello Friends,

A short while ago David Lloyd wrote a very helpful letter concerning his
experiences with the need for a phyto permit for entering the USA with
plants in California after he returned from a Heliconia conference in
Thailand, He reported that one was deff. needed in California, but that De
Hall reported that one was NOT needed in Miami, Florida till 1/1/03.    Is
there any way to get an OFFICAL verification of this policy, perhaps there
is a web site that reports this, and can ANYONE out there confirm this is in
fact a policy being adhered to by the guys at Miami airport?????   Nothing
could be worse than making a trip, collecting irreplacable plants, arriving
at Miami and having the inspectors throw the plants in the incinerator IF
this policy is not an 'official' one.

I thank you all for your time.

> Can they obtain a "blanket" phyto for the entire seed
> batch or for all their available seeds, or must they
> obtain phyto for each individual shipment?

Every shipment must have a phytosanitary certificate enclosed. How that is
issued is up to the originating country. So far the packages I have received
from Australia and Germany have each had a certificate enclosed that was
issued for my small shipment alone.

Silverhill Seeds in South Africa is regularly pooling shipments and sending
to somebody in the US who repackages the individual orders and remails,
which does not require a phytosanitary certificate.

This regulation is devastating to various international plant society seed

Leo A. Martin
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

Like cactus and succulents?
Central Arizona Cactus and Succulent Society