Re: [aroid-l] images on Aroid-l

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] images on Aroid-l
  • From: Krzysztof Kozminski kk@kozminski.com
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 21:22:58 -0700

On Sunday, August 18, 2002, at 08:04 PM, Steve Marak wrote:

[...]
if we start allowing any sort of
attachments on Aroid-L, to some degree we're now playing the virus game.
Indeed, although it should be fairly simple to set up a list server to pass only attachments with appropriate Contents-Type field (perhaps also checking whether the attached contents indeed is JPEG format). It would be disappointing if majordomo could not do this.

Anyhow, I am against attachments on the simple principle of making this list usable to everyone with a slow modem, whether or not such list could be virus-proof. My question about viruses embedded in images was caused by simple curiosity (while I could imagine a corrupted data file overflowing buffers in a reader and thus gaining a foothold, I have not heard of this being done with image attachments).

KK
http://www.kozminski.com
"Micro$oft is to software engineering what McDonald$ is to gourmet cooking"