Re: [aroid-l] Anthurium ID needed

>A fellow on another list I'm on is wondering about the identity of his
>Anthurium.  The photos are at this URL:
>
>	http://www.charlies-web.com/caudiciform/contentsunk.html
>
>Can anyone identify this thing?  So far, one guess is A. salviniae.

Doing a little bit of checking, and based on what I can see from the
pictures, I would say that Anthurium salviniae is as good a guess as we
could with limited information. The pictures do provide some good
information though, especially the inflor. shots, which show us the long
tapered spadix, and both spath and spadix pale lavender, good characters of
A. salviniae. Closest second guess would be A. schlechtendalii, but the
inflor. structures tend to be shorter and more blunt, less tapered. A.
jenmanii, another suggested possibility, also tends to have a shorter and
more blunt spadix, and more white to cream colored if my memory serves, and
tougher leaves as well (or am I thinking of a different species?).
Comparing the shots to illustrations at Neil's Anthurium primer site,
<http://www.aroid.org/TAP/> might prove useful.

The most interesting thing to me is that this Anthurium is included in a
caudiciform section, apparently because the roots are growing into a
somewhat solid mix of clay and organic matter? This Anthurium, whichever
species it is, is definitely not a caudiciform, and would benefit from
being grown in an epiphytic mix, although it obviously doesn't seem to be
suffering in it's current, somewhat confusing mix of substrates.

Jonathan

p.s. Greeting Charles. I hope that this information helps. jbe

Jonathan Ertelt, Greenhouse Manager
Department of Biological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
Box 351634, Sta. B
Nashville, TN  37235
(615) 322-4054
jonathan.ertelt@vanderbilt.edu

** NOTE NEW UNIVERSITY MAILING ADDRESS, AS OF 7/15/02 **
	(home address remains the same)