[aroid-l] Arisaema Seeds

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Arisaema Seeds
  • From: ggusman ggusman@ulb.ac.be
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:39:18 +0200

> I have an  Arisaema which has set seed this season. As I have only 1 plant
> of this species would I be correct in assuming the seeds are hybrid? Or are
> Ariseamas able to pollinate themselves?
> Thanks
> Frank Wolpert

True or almost true. Most plants - except A. flavum - are unable to
pollinate themselves.
Indeed they are either male or female, or, in bisexual spadices, pollen is
often not ripe at the time ovaries are receptive.
Sometimes, however, a fruit is produced, wich usually doesn't ripe and the
peduncle falls down before berries are getting red. Nevertheless, if berries
seem to ripe and seeds are produced, these use to be sterile.
Sometimes, however, fertile seeds are set, even in purely female spadices
and without crossing (apomixis). It's truly exceptional and I only noticed
that once in more than ten years of observation - I am sure
that, at the time a female spadix was present on a very early flowering
form of Arisaema consanguineum, no other arisaema was in flower in my
In most cases, in the situation you describe, hybridization can be

Guy Gusman