[aroid-l] Anchomanes dalzielii freebee #2

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Anchomanes dalzielii freebee #2
  • From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" hetter@worldonline.nl
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:03:42 +0200

I have another collection of seeds of Anchomanes dalzielii to distribute and
this time it's gonna be faultless. The last time I failed to get seeds to
the non-USA requests because of a mailing failure. This time it is going to
work fine (I guess.....). Those of you in the list below did order the seeds
and didn't get them (as far as I know):

Bergh, Marylin van den
Chee Kin
Gregg, Alan
Kibby, Geoffrey
Neitz, Martin
Pascall, Mick
Scherberich, David
Sierzega, Dan
Suchy, Berthold
Tyerman, Paul
Wielicky, Marcin
Winkler, Mario

All of you in this list will get them this time.

Everyone not on this list and yet interested, send ME (NOT Aroid-L, don't
use the reply key!!!!) a request at hetter@worldonline.nl and do NOT forget
to give me your full postal address in that message. This is a freebee but I
hope to keep hassles to a minimum, so please follow the instructions.

As to germination, I have better data now than the first time: sow the seeds
upon arrival in a sandy mixture (about 1 cm under the surface) and keep it
moderately moist (this is a species of dry soils). The first shoots here
came up about 2 - 3 months after sowing, so a little patience is in order.
You may want to carefully check the seeds every two weeks because they are
susceptible do rot and bad ones better be separated from the good ones
whenever possible. A long root is developed first before the shoot appears.

Some details about this species below )pasted from an earlier message):

"Anchomanes WHO???? This is a species from western Africa, with a thick
creeping rhizome, a bright green spathe, large stigmas that are almost
sessile on the centre of the ovary and with red fruits. This can all be seen
on a few scans that I have asked Scott Hyndman to put on the IAS website.
When that has been done, I hope Scott will inform this list, so you can have
a peek.

The leaflets of A. dalzielii are also very broad. The differences with forms
of An. difformis (which goes in collections still under all kinds of false
names like An. hookeri, An, giganteum etc.) are that An. difformis has the
spathe dark maroon or pink or colours in-between, stigmas small, placed in
the lower part of the ovary-tip, fruits purple.

In the literature An. dalzielii has often been misidentified as An.
welwitschii but that name in fact stands for a form of An. difformis, that
was once also known as An. difformis var. welwitschii, which in my opinion
is the correct classification/name. In An. difformis var. welwitschii one
can see the excentrically placed stigma, typical of An. difformis.
The main difference is that in var. welwitschii the stigma is almost sessile
(not much of a style present). Our clones in Leiden of var. welwitschii also
have pink spathes. As in typical difformis the berries of var. welwitschii
are purple.

I do seem to remember I wrote a few lines on these Anchomanes
name-confusions a long while back but I guess you can find that in the

Scott Hyndman sent this to Aroid-l at that time:

"Per Wilbert's earlier note about the Anchomanes dalzielii, you can find his
beautiful images at http://www.aroid.org/genera/anchomanes/index.html.";