Re: [aroid-l] How many leaves??

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] How many leaves??
  • From: Dietmar Kiehlmann Kiehlmann@gmx.de
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:24:05 +0200 (MEST)

Dear Peter, Dear Julius

Itís well known to us that normally a second petiole emerges
between cataphylls and the first petiole. In these cases the petioles
are completely separated, at least, so far we could see this, above
the soil.

Presumably our expression ďbranchingď is not correct.

But in our said case, the tip of the second petiole broke out of
the existing petiole, 4 cm above the soil surface. We have never
before observed this phenomenon in Amorphophallus.

Unfortunately we didnít photograph this in the first stage, but
only one week later. Obviously itís not possible to mail pictures
via Aroid-L. If somebody is interested in this photo, we will
mail it to his personal email address.

Today the base of the first petiole encloses partly the second one,
as usual in other aroids e.g. Alocasia.

Best regards
Margret & Dietmar