[aroid-l] hybrid alocasia and more

  • Subject: [aroid-l] hybrid alocasia and more
  • From: Brian Williams <pugturd@alltel.net>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 12:10:39 -0400

Hello everyone and Joe good to see this list moving a long so much. I have been working on a lot of new things. I have talked about marketing many hybrids and everyone tells me to make small compact growers with nice colorful leaves. Those sound nice but I manly try to cross what I would want to grow. I am manly interested in large colorful growers that are much hardier and easier to grow. I am not sure on all the out comes as of yet but I have had a few small pups of Alocasia Brian William's survive here all winter. It was a small plant and I do not believe a larger plant would hold up but it does show promise that it is hardier than many others. I have many other forms of the same cross of Amazonica and macrorrhiza that I have not yet released that have a lot of promise for large landscape plants.

Other hybrids I have done or coming along

Alocasia Wanda Williams --- Corazon X Culionensis A nice small form with pale like leaves white veins and a slight blue tint a few forms being grown with different leaf shapes.

http://www.cloudjungle.dns2go.com/DotNetNuke/DesktopDefault.aspx?&tabid=47&path=Araceae/Alocasia/Hybrids/Wanda

Alocasia Brian Williams --- Amazonica X Macrorrhiza large growers much easier and faster to grow than most.

http://www.cloudjungle.dns2go.com/DotNetNuke/DesktopDefault.aspx?&tabid=47&path=Araceae/Alocasia/Hybrids/Brian%20Williams

Newest hybrids coming along

Alocasia longloba X Macorrhiza

Alocasia frydek X Macrorrhiza The frydek form I used was not the common form but one with narrow leaves white veins and streaked petioles. The hybrids have been showing signs of both white veins and streaked petioles and slight shimmer or velvet feel to the leaves. Much to look forward to with these.

I have also been crossing many cannas and coming up with many new flower forms and leaf forms.

Well for the rest of this letter. I expect to get some grief from some people LOL.

Amorphophallus Kerrii X Paeonifolius Kerrii has proven to be hardy here in KY zone6 for the past 4 years it is a small grower with green to white flowers.

Amorphophallus Tenuistylis X Paeonifolius Tenuistylis is a Thailand species looking very close to konjac but with a more closed flower.

These hybrids will be very interesting to see when fully grown. The blooms will be even more interesting to witness.