Re: [aroid-l] titanum corm storage

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] titanum corm storage
  • From: "Peter Boyce" <peterboyce@myjaring.net>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 06:01:06 +0800

Hi Linda

With the recognition of Amorphophallus julaihii as a new species there are
fifteen indigenous described species of Amorphophallus recorded from Borneo.

Including A. julaihii there are eight species in Sarawak, viz: A. angulatus
Hett. & A.Vogel, A. brachyphyllus Hett., A. eburneus Bogner, A. hewittii
Alderw., A. hottae Bogner & Hett., A. infundibuliformis Hett., A Dearden &
A. Vogel,  A. pendulus Bogner & Mayo. Five species have been recorded from
Sabah: A. hottae, A. lambii Mayo & Widjaja, A. rugosus Hett. & A. Lamb., A.
tinekeae Hett. & A. Vogel and A. venustus Hett., A. Hay & J. Mood. There are
so far eight species recorded from Kalimantan: A. borneensis, A. costatus
Hett., A. hewittii, A. infundibuliformis, A. lambii, A. linguiformis, A.
pendulus and A. prainii (the last perhaps based on a mis-labelled specimen;
A. prainii is otherwise known only from West Malaysia and Sumatera).

With the exception of this possibly dubious A. prainii all Bornean
Amorphophallus are endemic to Borneo. The most remarkable aspect of these
data is that thirteen of these fifteen species have been described within
the past 25 years.