Re: [aroid-l] Philodendron stenolobum

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Philodendron stenolobum
  • From: Philip Crabb <treetrustee@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 07:47:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi again,
I mistakenly cut off the spear-shaped sheathes, thinking they were petioles without a leaf blade.  One friend said, "Time to get glasses."
All is well, though, because the plants are putting out the new leaves despite the mistaken excisions.
Phil Crabb
Philip Crabb <treetrustee@yahoo.com> wrote:

I am strictly a beginner aroid hobbyist with questions about "tree" philodendron growth habit.

A plant that is new to me has suffered damage, and I wonder what the prognosis is.

The newest leaves of twin Philodendron stenolobums had been damaged in this way: the petioles of the leaves were present upon arrival but the blades of the leaves were missing, almost as if they were pinched off. In the week since the 7" pot with the two 15" inch tall plants arrived, the terminal petioles turned from green to yellow to brown, so I cut them back to a half an inch long.

My questions are these: Will the plants grow around this damage and simply produce new leaves sometime soon? Or, does Philo. stenolobum, when damaged at the growing tip, stop growing and produce side shoots?

Thank you,

Do You Yahoo!?

Do you Yahoo!?