Re: [aroid-l] overwintering alocasias

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] overwintering alocasias
  • From: "plantsman" <plantsman@prodigy.net>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:08:35 -0400

> Philippe <valphy@club.lemonde.fr> wrote:
> Leslie,
>
> All this sounds good. But does fluorescent light cover all the spectrum
> needed by plants? I don't know anything about this, so I guess it's a
> question to everybody else. Is fluorescent light adequate for growing
> plants?
> Philippe

When I used to grow a lot of orchids under lights (20 yrs. ago), I used a
combination of  cool white fluorescents alternating in the fixture with
Gro-Light fluorescents bulbs.  I'd just used the cheap shop light that you
can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's and lined them with aluminum foil.   I'd
heard from another grower that the combination of bulbs more approximated
the fuller wavelengths of daylight.  I know it worked well with the orchids,
even the ones that got no exposure to daylight.  The whole trick to it was
to bring the fixture down so that the bulbs were within three inches of the
leaves/flowers.  This gave maximum light exposure without the risk of
burning them.  My two cents...

David Sizemore
Kingsport, TN (Zone 6a)