[aroid-l] Craig and Fanny Phillips

  • Subject: [aroid-l] Craig and Fanny Phillips
  • From: "Derek Burch" <derek@horticulturist.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 03:14:50 -0400

I have just heard that Fanny died on July 22. I am sure that all friends of
the couple share my sadness at the news, and will miss her irrepressible
bubbling personality.

I remember snake collecting trips into the flooded Everglades many years
ago, when she would start a story as we left home at first light, and still
have all of us laughing at the same rambling narrative on the way back,
soaking wet at the end of the afternoon.

Others will have enjoyed her 'Phart Phestival' at the time of Amorphophallus
paeoniifolius flowering in Washington. They finally found the right wine to
serve - an orange-based offering from Florida that they described as having
all the richness of bouquet of cut grass held in a black plastic bag in the

Knowing her certainly made my life warmer for many years. Derek