Re: [aroid-l] variegated

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] variegated
  • From: "Michael Marcotrigiano" <mmarcotr@email.smith.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:19:04 -0400

Chloroplasts have their own genes (being derived from bacteria in
evolution) and they divide and occupy cells. When a chloroplast mutates
it can become white and when it divides it is in the cell with other
green ones. Eventually some cells sort out to all green, some all white,
most mixed, giving you a marble pattern. I am NOT sure this is the cause
of variegation in 'shattered glass' but the phenotype of shattered glass
is consistent with this mode of chloroplast inheritance. Until I do
crosses with it I can't unravel it for sure.

_______________________________

Michael Marcotrigiano, Ph.D
Smith College
Lyman Conservatory, 15 College Lane
Northampton, MA 01063
email: mmarcotr@smith.edu
voice: 413-585-2741; fax: 413-585-2744
www.smith.edu/garden
www.science.smith.edu/~mmarcotr
"Art is the unceasing effort to compete with
     the beauty of flowers and never succeeding."
          Marc Chagall

>>> temmerm@skynet.be 08/24/04 02:31AM >>>
Yes, you're right about that.  Those hosta used for breeding are not so
easy
to find, just like this konjac:-)
But it still is a bit weird to me that something genetic does not
happen all
over the plant.
Any explanation for that?  If not, I guess I'll just have to accept
the
facts:-)

Best,
Michael