[Aroid-l] Pistia

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Pistia
  • From: "MJ Hatfield" <mjhatfield@oneota.org>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:06:13 -0500

Not odd at all.

I assume in FL Pistia are invasive and are causing the loss of native species.

By the time the Iowa (US) legislature outlawed purple loosestrife, it was too late. Many of our waterway wetlands are monocultures of loosestrife. Diversity in our woodlands is disappearing to garlic mustard and Asian buckthorn. Our native prairies are being overtaken by Chinese lespedeza. We have lost diversity to agriculture and now are losing it to development and to these plants out of place.

As Peter Ward put it, are we are reuniting Gondwanaland?