Re: Off-topic info on P. warmingii

  • Subject: Re: Off-topic info on P. warmingii
  • From: "Carol McCarthy" <Carol.McCarthy@mail.wvu.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 08:12:05 -0400

I always suggest any collector use the International Aroid Society website http://www.aroid.org/   TROPICOS http://www.tropicos.org/   or the International Plant Names Index  http://www.ipni.org/index.html  to verify if a name is scientific.  If you don't find the spelling just do a search using the genus name and an entire list of species will pop up on TROPICOS.  Sometimes you figure out you just have a bad spelling but all too often you'll learn the name (especially from eBay) just doesn't exist in science.

Steve Lucas
www.ExoticRainforest.com

Steve,
 thank you for recommending these sites.  I often have plant names that I what to be correct and have not been sure where to find "an authority"  to go to when trying to straighten out those times when everyone seems to be giving me a different name, or when the name has changed often or recently and not everyone is up to date.  Again, Thank you.

Carol.