Re: Dracunculus growing on clay Z5

  • Subject: Re: Dracunculus growing on clay Z5
  • From: James Waddick <jwaddick@kc.rr.com>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 13:27:17 -0500

>After growing Darcunculus for several years in big containers I
>would like to know if they would survive outside. My soil is clay
>with sodium more than necessary. I would like to know who have
>success growing it outside in Zone 5. I would try to plant them out,
>but I don't want to loose them becouse they have nice reddish color
>not blackish. They were wild collected in Turkey, but the seller
>don't know where.

Dear Jan,
	It has been reported frequently about the hardiness of
Dracunculus in Zone 5 and possibly further north. I have grown it out
doors in various situations for years. This year I had 4 blooming
clumps ,  and 2 large seed heads are ripening.  One of these blooming
clumps was seed grown, the others from tubers.  The biggest is
growing in a raised amended bed in full sun.  It also blooms in
fairly deep shade at the edge of a wood side.

	The only place it has declined was in a bed that stay damp
over winter. All surviving sites - even in shade - have a slight
slope and better drainage.
	We routinely get to 0 F each winter and the plants receive NO
protection.
	Want some fresh seed when the heads are ripe?

	Best	and go for it.		Jim W.

--
Dr. James W. Waddick
8871 NW Brostrom Rd.