Re: Monstera fruits - when ripe?

  • Subject: Re: Monstera fruits - when ripe?
  • From: Brian Williams <pugturd@windstream.net>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 01:54:37 -0400

Steve it takes usually over 1 year for the fruit to ripen. You can tell
once the fruit gets very soft and the dark green octagon like caps on
top of the fruit fall off extremely easily or own their own. The fruit
is usually very slimy. My experience is the seeds are usually very large
depending on the species but PP size to nickel size seeds. Avoid the
slime as much as possible. I know the fruit can be eaten and usually
taste very sweet, but when I prepared my seeds I did not wear gloves and
my hands itched for hours.  I have photos of the entire process if you
need them.

Aroid-L mailing list