Re: Amorphophallus titanum bloom - Cockrell Butterfly Centerat the Houston Museum of Natural Science

  • Subject: Re: Amorphophallus titanum bloom - Cockrell Butterfly Centerat the Houston Museum of Natural Science
  • From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 11:37:55 -0700 (PDT)

He is using the ethylene gas given off of the bananas to help the process it would seem. I myself have successfully used ethylene to force all my amorphophallus tubers to sprout at the same time. I did this last year. This year I did not do this so I could see of they would sprout at the same time or at different times. As of now mid August, I still have some that are just barely now breaking the surface of the soil.

However, I did not have success doing this to a.mulleri, it just ripened like a peice of fruit. Is smelled like a very ripe pinaple and just turned soft. Unfortunatly it was my only one so I cannot experiment further on a.mulleri

I refuse to participate in the recession,
Erin Vincent Morano