Re: Gonatopus angustus

  • Subject: Re: Gonatopus angustus
  • From: Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 11:11:39 -0400

Hi E.,

I had heard that Gonatopus angustus don't have a well-defined dormancy and can stay in leaf year-round.  My own personal experience with growing them in the northeast US is that they tend to go dormant sometime during the winter and break dormancy in earlyish spring.

It seems to be a sturdy plant and I've never lost one during dormancy to rot or dessication.  I have always kept them in their pots just like I do my Gon. boivinii.

My boivinii also seem to have a poorly defined dormancy.  One of them has been in leaf for well over a year while another one was dormant all winter (the solid green form).  When I say "in leaf" with boivinii I mean an unbroken series of leaves and inflorescences.