Re: What is it all about?

  • Subject: Re: What is it all about?
  • From: Geneviève Ferry <jpcferry2@wanadoo.fr>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 19:04:49 +0200

Dear Greg ,

Be patient. We are in August and there will be entries for the conference in Hanoi. I 'am sure.
4 years ago, Nancy, there were about sixty people who came from around the world. After europe, that is Asia. It is good that the conference "turns". All leading experts came to Nancy. That pride in our botanical garden.

I have had the ocassion of coming to Miami last year and I met enthusiasts. What happiness to meet, to exchange with each other. Thank you to all the volunteers who give their time freely. I cherish fond memories of those beautiful days.
 Happy to meet you in Hanoi
Geneviève Ferry

Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:35 AM
Subject: [Aroid-l] What is it all about?

As a person who has beem a member of the IAS, on and off, over a long period of time, I am moved to wonder what is the purpose of the IAS.

I note that the term of five Board membership expires in September and would like to know what the Board members do? When and where does the Board meet?
When are nominations called for the vacant positions?

Does the IAS has a plan for the future and where might I find it?

We have a wonderful editorial team and, without wanting to cause any offence, what is the succession plan that the IAS has in place for these wonderful people?

As a non-American member, apart from the newsletter and Aroideana, what is the point of me being a member?

Does the IAS have a plan to increase its membership?

Why is the IAS Facebook page not monitored?  There is an increasing amount of spam being posted there (I am not the only one who is annoyed by this) and nothing is done about it.
The IAS has a financial membership of 365, including institutions.  The Facebook page has 850 members and is growing quickly. Why isn't the Facebook page used to promote the society and recruit new members?
I notice I don't necessarily get answers to questions I pose. Does the Board think this is a good look?

Why is there a high level of Society disinterest in the International Aroid Conference to be held in Hanoi? Is it because it is outside the USA?
I have asked on Facebook about the Society's involvement in the conference and have effectively been told that it really is nothing to do with the IAS.  This is despite the IAS being involved in selecting the site for the conference and the front page of the IAS website encouraging people to "Join us"
Nobody seems to know who is giving the IAS presentation at the conference! Why? Why will there be no IAS merchandise available?

I have asked thirteen questions and will be interested to see how many I get satisfactory answers to.

Greg Ruckert
Nairne
South Australia
Australia