Re: What is it all about?

  • Subject: Re: What is it all about?
  • From: brian lee <lbmkjm@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 01:02:35 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Greg,

Aloha ("In the presence of the breath of life").

You have asked some very interesting questions.  There are others more qualified than I to answer most of them.  From what I understand, all of the people behind the scenes making the IAS function, are volunteers.  With that in mind, the question should be, "Ask what can I do for the IAS, not, what can the IAS do for me?"  Everyone is very busy these days and I cannot do all I wish for the IAS. What I can do is respond on Aroid-l, if I have an intelligent question or answer to contribute.  I also respond on the IAS Aroid Forum, when I have an opinion or just to welcome new people to the forum. If I meet other enthusiasts, I aways suggest joining the IAS.  Some do and some don't.  I am not on Facebook, so I do not know anything about that issue.  I would like to see more traffic on Aroid-l or the Aroid Forum, so if you have any ideas on how to attract people to post to those, that would be great.  Your post here seems to have attracted a lot of attention and that is a good thing.

I would be interested in hearing more about your involvement with aroids.  Are you a scientist, educator, or professionally associated with Araceae?  I believe it would be great if we could learn a bit more about each other and our specific interests.

My first love in plants are Hawaiian endemic and indigenous flora and their conservation.  I have a specific interest in Philodendron subgenus Meconostigma, which is a very narrow interest, but, I love to learn about a diverse range of natural history subjects.  My mentor in landscape design and other things was Roberto Burle Marx, who was an honorary life member of the IAS.  I met Dr. Simon Mayo at Roberto's sitio, before he left for Bahia and prior to his revision of Philodendron subgenus Meconostigma.

I haven't addressed your questions specifically, but, I did want to respond in a way that introduces one member to another.