Re: Sauromatum venosum 'Indian Giant' or maybe not?

  • Subject: Re: Sauromatum venosum 'Indian Giant' or maybe not?
  • From: Ken Mosher <ken@spatulacity.com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 16:58:32 -0400

Yes, the picture in your forum is exactly what mine looked like! And your written description was right on, too. I'll send you a photo off-list.

-Ken

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 3:58 PM, StroWi@t-online.de <StroWi@t-online.de> wrote:

Hi Ken,

the IG I grow since 2002, when I got an offset from CJ Addington, has definitely fewer spots than the regular form.

You can see pictures here:
http://www.amorphophallus-forum.de/typhonium-venosum-im-originalzustand-typhonium-sauromatum/andere-araceaen-nach-gattungen-f27/t316-f9/
see posts # 5, 15, 36, 40, 55

(There is a translation button at th end of the page....)

The second trait which separates this IG genotype from the regular form is that the length/width ratio of the Fingers" of the leaf is much smaller; so the fingers are much wider than in the regular form.
The genotype I grow goes back to a strain grown by Tony Avent / Plant Delights Nursery, so a population of homogeneous genotypes.
CJ wrote the following:
"If I recall correctly, I did indeed get that clone from Plant Delights years ago. At first glance it resembles the ?normal? form, especially in juveniles, but the mature plant is quite distinct. The ?Indian Giant? produces leaves that are substantially larger than normal, and the individual leaf segments ( the ?fingers?) are broad, wide, and slightly wavy on the edges. If a normal leaf looks like a giant human ?hand?, with long thin fingers, the Indian Giant leaf looks like a gecko foot, with wide fingers. I hope that makes sense!?
Also, the Indian Giant corm gets much larger, makes fewer offsets, and the bloom is taller and stockier than the normal."
If you find time, please send picture of your plants...
Best, Bernhard.