Amorphophallus titanum blooming again at Fairchild

Another of the huge Amorphophallus titanum tubers is about to bloom at
Fairchild Tropical Garden, 10901 Old Cutler Road, Miami, Florida 33156. We are
estimating that if the inflorescence progressed at the pace of it's sibling
last year, it will open between September 3rd and 6th. Media attention is
expected to again bring in large crowds.

The dormant 17", 35 lb. tuber was repotted on May 17, 1999. Our other large
tuber, last years famous "Stinky Plant", was repotted at the same time and
already had a new leaf emerging before our current "star" decided to leisurely
break dormancy. I had noted last year that the blooming plant was also the last
one of the Titan's to emerge.

is how David Attenborough described this plant in his 1995 BBC television
program "The Private Life of Plants". When Fairchild's first plant flowered in
June of last year it really became quite an event. Huge crowds overwelmed our
'Windows to the Tropics' conservatory where it was displayed. This event was
the beginning of a huge nation wide wave of interest in this fascinating
species. Other more recent flowerings continue to capture the imagination of
the public and have brought wonderful media exposure to Botanical Gardens
around the country.

This time we will be installing a small landscaped exhibit with the
Amorphophallus titanum surrounded by an assortment of amorphophallus and other
species. For those familiar with the Garden, the display will be placed in the
Nell Jennings Garden House auditorium. In the space around the display we are
planning some educational material and expect to have a few informal talks.

I am looking for aroid enthusiasts to talk about Amorphophallus to the many
expected visitors over the next couple of weeks. There is no one better to
build enthusiasum and spread the word than we who are already passionate about
this fascinating family of plants.

If you would be interested in volunteering some time while you are here to see
our Titan Arum, we could sure use the help. Tricia Frank, a long time Garden
volunteer, has offered to be the contact person. She can be reached :
by e-mail: tricia_frank@hotmail.com
or by phone:  305-665-4369

Craig M. Allen
Conservatory Manager 'Windows to the Tropics'
Fairchild Tropical Garden
10901 Old Cutler Road
Miami, Florida 33156
Tel. 305-667-1651 ext. 3320   FAX 305-661-8953
email: cm_allen@yahoo.com
Do You Yahoo!?