Re: Titan Arum Setting Seed

  • Subject: Re: Titan Arum Setting Seed
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@email.msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 19:09:03 -0600 (CST)

----- Original Message -----
From: <SelbyHort@aol.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 10:36 AM

Dear Donna and all Friends,

Yes, thanks for pointing this out.   I GUESS they would have had to remove a
part of the male spadix BEFORE it opened, as the female flowers are 'ready'
at least a day or two before the pollen is produced, so Donna, do you have
any idea exactly how they manage to 'collect' the immature pollen and
'ripen' it??

Cheers,

Julius

>>This is a very interesting story. They used surgical methods to extract
pollen and "ripened" it, then pollinated when females were receptive.
Normally, Amorphophallus pollen is released only after the female flowers
are
no longer capable of receiving it. I don't know if anyone has ever tried
this
with other aroid species, but certainly others will make the attempt now
that
Huntington has proven it can be done! The folks at Huntington have deployed
these methods sucessfully with some other plants (not aroids) and thought it
would be worth a try.

However, it must not be genetically optimal to self-pollinate in this
manner.

Donna Atwood<<

<< I was not aware that the Huntington plant was self pollinated but here is
 the story:

  http://www.huntington.org/BotanicalDiv/TitanSeed.htm