Re: Rot Prevention

I know I am going to get smacked for this, but.... regardless, why would this be "better" than using one of the MANY fungicide products on the market? Cost?

As far as I know, Hydrogen peroxide has great "disenfectant properties" but I dont know if you would find it to be a broad spectrum fungicide.

aroid-l@mobot.org wrote:
> At a recent orchid society meeting, the speaker mentioned that
he uses hydrogen peroxide (3%) to treat orchids that have experienced
a problem with rot. Basically, he waters the plant on its regular
schedule, but for three waterings he uses hydrogen peroxide. His
reasoning was that apparently plants (at least orchids) produce a
weak hydrogen peroxide solution at the interface between leaf and
stem when the plant is dropping a diseased leaf. His reasoning being
that if the plant produces it inside, it should have no problem with
it being applied on the outside.

Long story, short question. Does anybody have any idea if this procedure
might help combat rot in dormant potted amorphophallus tubers?

Bill Weaver
bill_weaver@hp.com